Saturday, June 9, 2012

Lemon Balm Soap: Part I


 As promised, here's my little journey into making Lemon Balm soap. It all began with a harvest during the last full moon. During the full moon, the essential oils in plants are at their highest.



I'm also using the root of Lemon Balm in my infusions. Pictured below is extra virgin olive oil, which is being infused with Lemon Balm leaves, stalks, and roots. This infusion was made of the course of three full days. Each day, I strained the oil, and added fresh Lemon Balm.


On the third day, I harvested some more fresh Lemon Balm for the next phase of my plan. This new harvest will be made into an herbal infusion. I placed fresh and dried Lemon Balm leaves, stems, and roots into a French Press. 

In the next step, I poured boiling distilled water into the French Press, and allowed this mixture to brew for several hours. This creates a sort of very strong "tea," which I will later use as a carrier for mixing Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) into the olive oil.


As shown below, I'm also adding Organic Acacia Honey to this batch. I figured honey was a no-brainer choice for this soap, since many of my impressions from Lemon Balm involve bees.



No comments: