Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Three Years



Chris,

Three years ago, we made a decision that would change both of our lives forever. I remember being so reluctant to allow myself to love you. All of the pain from previous relationships can really tarnish a person's ability to just let down their guard, and to open up their heart. Fear and doubt take hold. But I realized that if I shut you out, I could have given up a chance at love. What a foolish thing to do! So, I reached down into myself, pulled out my dark and broken heart, and held it out in front of me for you to see. Without questioning me, without a second glance, you lifted it up and gave it new life.

Since then, I have lived more fully than I could have ever dreamed of living in all the years before. Three years...within them, a lifetime, an ocean of memories lives and breathes. To step back and look at all we've accomplished together brings me to new heights, and assures me that the decision to open my heart to you is at the top of my "Best Decisions I Ever Made" list.

Thank you for your gentle strength, and your perfect comedic timing and whit. Thank you for helping me see my dreams and stay true to them. And most of all, thank you for being so kind, loving, and understanding of my mending heart.

May we continue to be such excellent medicine to each other, and may we live to see our love grow until this world can no longer contain it! Happy Anniversary, Tut!

I Love You!

Ben

1 comment:

Jamie Potter said...

this is so awesome. i have been facing this issue for, well, most of my life. what i 'had' until i was four years old is something i have been reaching for, ever since, but am somehow blinded, being forced to feel for it (i am scorpio 1973) and cannot get a really good grasp on it, good enough to pull it in to where i am now. i find that this article is in touch with my needs as a person, and no one has been brave enough to speak of this, until you. thank you for sharing.